April 22

Focus Question: How can I make my poetry "sing?"



Today's class focused on helping students add rhythm and meter into their poetry. I tried to "hook" students by showing them a video of a postal clerk in Ghana using rhythm to make his work more interesting. Check it out above. Next we defined the term rhythm and looked at two common rhythmic patterns in poetry: iambic and anapestic. There was lots of drumming on desks! (I can't help myself with this alliteration thing.) After that, we defined meter and defined the term foot as it applies to poetry. Students then applied their knowledge by examining poems and deciding on their rhythm and meter. This was no easy task. Finally students wrote poems using a specific rhythm and meter. I'm excited to see what they come up with.

Out of Class Work:

1) Complete your economic systems blog post (C Block) for tomorrow (Thursday).
2) Complete a draft of your sonnet (E Block) or other type of poem (G Block) for Friday.
3) Complete your "So much depends upon.." for Friday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Labor Laws in the U.S.

Working Conditions Report